What information do we collect? …
We only collect the personal data we need to be able to provide you with the services you have asked us to provide or tell you about.
- At Registration: We collect necessary information from you, including name and email address, when you register for an account or place an order. If you are a music teacher we also ask for your website and details about your teaching only in order to verify you are a teacher.
- Using the Contact Forms: When you contact us using the contact facilities, we ask for your name and email address so we can help you with your enquiry.
- Financial Information: All payments for the paid parts of this website are handled through third party merchants, including Paypal and Stripe. To process the order we redirect you to their website and send them the purchase total and your email address so you can complete the transaction.
- Achievements: Your activity, once you are logged in, may produce quiz scores, achievements and game scores. We store music pack progress, including completion status, quiz scores, assignments and/or essay submissions (if applicable). We also store comments on courses, lessons, topics, assignments, and essays if you choose to leave them.
- Mailing list: If you register for our blog posts we use Mailchimp. Our sign-up form asks for your name and email address in order to send you notification when we make a blog post.
What do we do with it?
- We never pass on your information except where required by law: We value your privacy and your information is only ever used to manage your account. It is never passed to third parties for marketing and commercial purposes.
- Quiz Scores: Your individual quiz scores are not public. They are private to your own account and only viewable by you – and your music teacher if you agreed to be added to their teaching group – and the administrator of this website.
- Your Achievements and Comments: Some achievements are automatically viewable in a public leaderboard. This includes badges you have unlocked, your musical ranking, your username and an overall points total (points are awarded for activity in the Website such as logging in, passing quizzes and unlocking badges). Your username will appear in any comments you might make.
- User Profile: The information that you provide at registration is kept in your user profile. All users can see, edit, or delete their own personal information at any time (except they cannot change their username). Website administrators can also see and edit that information.
- Contact Forms: If you correspond with us using the contact forms, you provide contact details and other information to help with queries. This information is only used to deal with the query you send – or in the case of teacher verification, allows us to check you are a music teacher.
How long do we keep it?
We will only keep personal data for as long as is necessary to provide our services, or for as long as we reasonably need to keep the information for the lawful business purposes or to comply with a statutory or other legal requirement.
- Registered Users: We only keep the information of registered users for as long as you keep an account with us. You can request to be removed and have all your information deleted from the Website by using the removal form and this will be done as soon as possible (but no longer than one month after receiving the request).
- Contact Forms: In the case of contact forms, the information you provide is only kept for as long as needed to deal with your query and is deleted no longer than six months after that time.
- Comments: If you leave a comment, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely. This is so we can recognise and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue. Your comment can be removed upon request.
Our Policy Concerning Children …
- We encourage parents and guardians to take an active role in their children’s use of this website. We require that children under the age of 18 have parent/guardian consent before registering with this site.
- We also ask that such users provide their parent or guardian’s email address to set up an account rather than their own.
- If your music teacher adds you or your child to the site, it is their responsibility to obtain your consent. This should be sought from the parent/guardian if the student is under 18.
- All comments are moderated before being published to ensure a safe learning environment for all users, and the administrator will not allow publication of any inappropriate or unsuitable comments.
Keeping Your information Safe …
- We care about the security of your personal information and take reasonable steps to keep safe the information collected. We ask you to maintain the security of your account and data, by choosing a secure password not used on any other sites, using a combination of letters and numbers.
Third Party Links …
- Although we aim to only include quality, safe and relevant external links, users are advised to adopt a policy of caution before clicking any external web links. We cannot be held liable for any damages or implications caused by visiting any external links. These third party sites have separate and independent privacy policies and you are advised to check them if you visit the links.
Altering Your Personal Information …
- Editing Your Information: If you wish to modify or delete your personal information this can be done via the online account section. Please contact us here if you need help doing this or have any queries.
- Requesting Information: You can request to receive an exported file of the personal data we hold about you, including any data you have provided to us. You can also request that we erase any personal data we hold about you. This does not include any data we are obliged to keep for administrative, legal, or security purposes. You can be removed from this website at any time. Please visit here
Cookies and Google Analytics …
- What is a cookie? A cookie is a small piece of information stored by your web browser and on your computer. Cookies are used on this website to improve your experience and also to manage logged-in users membership.
- First Visit: On your first visit to the website we display a banner giving a link to more information about cookies. You can choose to deny cookies through your browser settings.
- Blocking Cookies: Please note that if you block cookies as a logged-in user, it will not be possible to save your progress and some account features may not work correctly.
- Login Cookies: If you have an account and you log in to this site, we will set a temporary cookie to determine if your browser accepts cookies. This cookie contains no personal data and is discarded when you close your browser. When you log in, we will also set up several cookies to save your login information and your screen display choices. Login cookies last for two days, and screen options cookies last for a year. If you select “Remember Me”, your login will persist for two weeks. If you log out of your account, the login cookies will be removed.
- Clicking on Third Party Links: Other cookies may be stored to your computers hard drive by external vendors when you click on third party links from referral programs, sponsored links or adverts but no personal information is stored, saved or collected
- Making Comments: If you leave a comment on our site you may opt-in to saving your name, email address and website in cookies. These are for your convenience so that you do not have to fill in your details again when you leave another comment. These cookies will last for one year.
Website Analytics …
- We use Google Analytics to receive statistics on traffic to our website and more information about how Google uses and processes data can be found here.
- Google Analytics does not store, save or collect personal information.
Mailing List …
- We do not use a mailing list but if you wish to keep up to date with news and special offers, please subscribe to the blog or follow @learnatune on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter.
- We never pass the details of our blog subscribers to third parties for marketing or other commercial purposes.
- You can unsubscribe from the blog at any time by clicking the link in our emails.
- We may change this policy. Therefore we encourage you to check the policy from time to time. Changes will be listed at the end of this page.
Date Policy Issued: 11th October 2017.
12/04/2018: Added information about Google Analytics
24/05/2018: Made the policy clearer to comply with new EU data protection laws from May 2018
25/03/2019: Changes relating to using CleanTalk Antispam instead of Akismet